Friday, May 7, 2010

The Greatest Trip is the one I’ve yet to Take



As of next fall, I will officially be a senior in school. That is three years of the most amazing time of my life in the books (pun intended, read on).

My experiences thus far at school have been some of the most rewarding and memorable of my life,but I am here today to just take moment to reflect on one aspect that I have yet to experience thus far. As of now in my time as an undergraduate student, I have yet to claim the experience of checking out a book.

I’m not saying that my school, Suffolk University isn’t challenging, it’s the exact opposite I have am challenged academically, put in situations that allow me to grow everyday. I value a quality education that I am receiving and don’t take one day for granted. My institution is ranked in some of the most premier collegiate lists for its uncanny ability for producing graduates that make an immediate impact in the professional world and are well-regarded and distinguished alumni. But for all the time I have spent reading, researching and writing, I have done so without every having to check out a book from my library. When it comes to finding sources for research, I am able to find everything I need online, of course I must be cautious about my citing, but the current online databases with journals, editorials and references is amazing to have at current student’s fingertips. The numerous Internet platforms, offer an array of valuable and well-respected sources. Which makes it great to be a collegiate student in the Millennial Generation, cuts the time of past generations who had to dig through a pile of books to find the right resource.

I tell families and students on the university tours I conduct the truth, Suffolk University, like many other academic institutions have an amazing online database, free for student’s access with extremely well received scholarly pieces. The major push at my institution has already began its emergence; many professors are making there texts available online, for free. I think the traditional form of a student being dependant on textbooks will in time be a concept of the past, with heavy current emphasis on reading devices like the Kindle, Nook and IPad, it is no surprise that the traditional form of research for a college student has become an alternative, with the luxury of online research. Just another perk of living in the vibrant time, known as Gen Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment